Thursday, 27 October 2011

Deja vu

Here is one of my short stories that I eventually got published, enjoy :)

I was so excited, it was my birthday and Tom was taking me somewhere to celebrate. “Tom, please, where are we going?” I begged as I stepped over a few twigs and dodged a tree branch. “We’re almost there,” He replied leading the way. He held my hand firmly with confidence so it was obvious that he knew where he was going. All of a sudden he stopped dead in his tracks and sat down on the grassy hill. “Tom, what are you doing? Are we there?” I asked hoping to get some answers. He patted the floor beside him, inviting me to sit beside him. I mean, I couldn’t say no to that could I? After all we had been walking around for a while and I was getting tired. “Look,” He said, pointing to the sky. I followed his finger, only to find a million stars twinkling back into my eyes. The view was just breath taking. “Happy birthday,” Tom said as he leaned in to kiss my cheek. I couldn’t believe how perfect this night had been; it was clearly by far, the best birthday I had ever had.

All of a sudden it started to rain. We thought it was just going to be a shower but the more we sat there, the harder it hit our backs. We got up and ran to take cover under the nearest tree­. By now the rain was like pins, it was as if God was crying, like he’d lost a loved one. As I approached the tree, I looked behind me only to find that Tom wasn’t there. “Tom?” I shouted. No reply. I came from under the tree and went to where we were just sitting. As I looked I saw a footprint smudged. My eyes followed it and to my worst nightmare I found Tom at the bottom of the hill looking unconscious by a tree. I was mortified. I sprinted down the hill as fast as I could, trying not to fall over on the way. When I reached Tom I could see that he was unconscious and his head was bleeding. As startled as I was, I got my phone out and called for an ambulance and then called my mum explaining what had happened. All I could do now was wait for the ambulance to arrive. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. “Come on Tom wake up, please! Don’t worry I’m still here,” I said as I hugged him close to my heart. When the ambulance arrived, we went straight to the hospital to find out what had happened. I phoned his mum and dad while me and my mum were waiting for him to come round.

Within a few hours the doctor came out of the room Tom was in to give us the news. I looked at him; tears rolling down my cheeks, hoping it would be ok. “The good news is that he will be ok,” The doctor said with a bit of doubt in his voice. “However, he’s suffering from a traumatic brain injury. He has a long term memory loss. He knows what his parents look like but he doesn’t remember their names. I’m also afraid to say that it’s permanent as well,” The doctor added. I froze. He won’t remember me anymore? What about the fun times we’ve had? I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I couldn’t give up on him though. As the months go on I know it will be hard. Our life together will be like déjà vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment